The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service hosts the Canadian Technology Accelerator (CTA) program in San Francisco and Silicon Valley. The CTA is an acceleration program designed to assist high-potential Canadian startups and entrepreneurs in the technology sector access the unique ecosystem that is the Silicon Valley.
CTA chose Silicon Valley Forum as its partner to put together a full day immersion program for 11 startups participating in the CTA Winter 2016 cohort. The day started early morning with a welcome session at Plug and Play followed by a visit to IBM and a business luncheon with 1-on-1 meetings with investors and business executives. In the evening the 11 startups got to pitch in front of a full house at Hero City and recieve valuable feedback from investor judges.
The Canadian Immersion Program and Pitch Night:
Welcome session at Plug & Play, Sunnyvale
- Welcome introduction with the CTA Team from the Consulate General of Canada in Palo Alto
Site visit to IBM, Foster City
- Welcomed by Angie Krackeler, Manager North America Cloud Technical Evangelist, IBM to talk about how startups and corporations can partner for innovation.
Business Matchmaking Luncheon with:
- Steve Goldberg, Partner at Venrock (VC)
- Ronald Weissman, Chairman, Software SIG, Band of Angels
- Ariffin Datuk, Group Architect for Search Products, Yahoo!
- Thomas Lee, VP Strategy & Operations,SAP
- Bill Reichert, Managing Director, Garage Technology Ventures
- Faraz Hoodbhoy, Director of Ecosystem & Outreach, AT&T
Canadian Pitch Night Opening Remarks
- Denyse Cardozo, Executive Director, Silicon Valley Forum
- Brandon Lee, Consul General of Canada
Panel Discussion with:
- Fadi Bishara, Founder & CEO, Blackbox (moderator)
- Susan MacKay, VP Business Development, Digital Retail Apps (CTA Alumni)
- Anatoly Kvitnitsky, Head of Growth, Trulioo (CTA Alumni)
- Chris Hobbs, President, Two Tall Totems (CTA Alumni)
Investor Panel for Pitch Session with:
- Punit Chiniwalla, Senior Director, Singtel Innov8
- Julia Qiu, Associate, NEA
- Fadi Bishara, Founder & CEO, Blackbox
- Alan Jepsen, Group Manager, City National Bank
”We’re right in line with our BD goals to have 3 follow up meetings from yesterday – the pitch night, IBM visit and networking lunch are the cherry on top of a great week in the bay area!” – Program participant Rod Theoret, Groupe Ingeno Inc.
“We used to put these pitch nights together ourselves and it requires a large amount of time and resources that we this year decided to work with Silicon Valley Forum to expand the concept even more with an Immersion Program. Also through Silicon Valley Forum’s network we were able to reach a much wider audience which contributed to a sold out Pitch Night. The project has been delivered over expectations and I can only give my best recommendations.” – Bryan Bowman, Coordinator, Canadian Technology Accelerator, Consulate General of Canada.
In Partnership With:
About Silicon Valley Forum’s Immersion Programs
Silicon Valley Forum creates unique, high-quality Silicon Valley immersion programs, startup workshops, business luncheons, pitch nights, demo days, and more for corporates, accelerators, government and universities worldwide. Each program can be tailored to your delegation’s specific needs, find past Silicon Valley immersion programs here and download our program brochures to learn more about what we can do for you!