- This event has passed.
June 24, 2014 @ 2:30 pm - 7:30 pm UTC-7
Big data, Common Core, STEM, MOOCs, SPOCs.
After decades of playing a supplementary role in education, the global Silicon Valley community – from technologists to venture capitalists – are disrupting the old school house at its foundation. Attend the Next-Gen Education and learn from educators, policy makers, investors, and edtech entrepreneurs on the productive use of technology to transform education – from pre-K to life-long learning.
- What key decisions hang in the balance as transformation begins? What are the goals of the transformation? Will the Common Core and high-stakes testing wipe out love of learning to make way for a technocentric dystopia? Should the traditional higher education model dissolve and let market forces shape the system to maximize GDP? How could we develop a life-long learning system so that we will always be “Innovation Ready” at any age?
- How can educational technology be used to achieve the goals of the transformation?
- Does the promise of personalized learning trump student privacy concerns? How reliable and accurate are our current predictive learning analytics and assessment tools?
- How should technology companies structure their business model to balance profit, access, educational outcome, and social good?
- What is necessary to successfully implement a technology solution in an educational system? What should be the metrics of success?
- Examples of best practices in edtech implementation and adoption.
- Are we heading for edtech bubble? Why or why not? How can it be prevented?
2:30 – 2:50 pm
Registration, Networking, Demo Tables
2:50 – 3:00 pm
Adiba Barney, CEO, SVForum
3:00 – 3:45 pm
Keynote & Fireside Chat: Closing the Digital Learning Gap
Karen Cator, President and CEO, Digital Promise
Interviewer: Tina Barseghian, Editor-in-Chief, MindShift/KQED
3:45 – 4:45 pm
Panel: K-12 Edtech Ecosystem Innovation
Dylan Arena, Co-Founder & Chief Learning Scientist, Kidaptive
Jennie Dougherty, Innovation Manager, KIPP
Matt Greenfield, Managing Partner, Rethink Education
Matt Pasternack, Director of Growth, Clever
Moderator: Matt Bowman, Co-Founder & Writer, EdSurge
4:45 – 5:00 pm
5:00 – 5:30 pm
Technology Enables and Outcomes Inspire: Building the Best University in the World
Ben Nelson, Founder & CEO, Minerva Project
5:30- 6:30 pm
Panel: Higher Ed & Life-Long Learning Edtech Ecosystem Innovation
Greg Bybee, Director of Product Management, NovoEd
Heather Hiles, Founder and CEO, Pathbrite
Dave Jarrat, VP of Marketing, InsideTrack
Michael Staton, Partner, Learn Capital
Dennis Yang, CEO, Udemy
Moderator: Larry Kane, Partner, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
6:30 – 7:30 pm
Reception, sponored by Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Who should attend: educators, policy makers, edtech entrepreneurs, developers and investors.
Refund policy? All ticket sales are final. We do not offer refunds.