- This event has passed.
Venture Startup & Financing SIG: VCs & Funding Foreign Ventures
October 21, 2014 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm PDT
Ticket sales have now closed–walk-ins will be available at the door for the same prices listed above. Hope to see you there!
Silicon Valley is startup heaven, where money falls from the skies for new ideas. But how does a non-U.S. based company get into the pearly gates? Many Silicon Valley investors say they look abroad for opportunities, but most of their investments are within a 100 mile radius from their office. Come listen to both CEOs and investors talk about the unique opportunities and issues they face when raising money (CEO perspective) and investing in companies where the main businesses and operations (and sometimes the entities themselves) are not U.S. based.
Topics to be Explored Include:
- Diligence on companies that are largely abroad – special issues and approaches
- Does a venture started outside the United States need to have some base in Silicon Valley/U.S. – top management at least, what is enough?
- How do investors get comfortable with macro risks – laws and governments, in foreign settings?
- Entity/structure issues – do you use the Canadian company or India company, or do you force a U.S. structure?
- Does the valuation change relative to where the company is? Is it a U.S. valuation or those used in Ireland?
- Which deal terms apply – those of Silicon Valley or the other locations?
- Most frequent issues for CEOs when explaining their foreign operations/market focus
About Our Speakers:
More speakers to be announced soon!
Tom Cervantez, Investor and founder of Bizlaw.com
Tom is a co-founder of HBS Alumni Angels and a venture partner with Accelerator Ventures in San Francisco, as well as a founding partner of Bizlaw.com. At Accelerator Ventures, Tom works on both the investment and fund operations sides. Tom has been angel investing since the 1990s, having invested in such companies as Open Table, Friendster, Specialty’s Café & Bakery and others. Tom also setup Harvard’s global angel investment group, HBS Alumni Angels/Harvard Angels. Tom also works in San Francisco with bizlaw.com, a corporate law boutique focused on working with CEOs and investors as incorporate and grow companies and need legal work done on entity formation financing documents (angel/seed/conv notes/ preferred stock financings), sales/distribution contracts and mergers & acquisitions. Tom regularly works with foreign companies setting-up and doing business in Silicon Valley from outside the United States, including Australia, Japan, Canada, the Middle-East, Europe and Latin America. Tom received his BA from Loyola Marymount Univ and his JD/MBA from Harvard University.
6:30 – 7:00 pm Registration and Networking
7:00 – 8:30 pm Presentation