In April 2018, we had the honor of partnering with The Graduate School of International Corporate Strategy (ICS) at Hitotsubashi University for a pitch training program for 20 of their EMBA students in Silicon Valley. The ICS is based in Tokyo, Japan and provides a program that trains and educates leaders to become future C-level executives for some of Asia’s largest corporations. The goal of this program was to provide an education on Silicon Valley resources, train business leaders to understand Silicon Valley culture, and gain perspective on how to apply Silicon Valley lessons to their own companies.
Prior to the delegation’s arrival in Silicon Valley, we organized one-on-one virtual pitch training sessions for each participant with Michelle Messina from Explora International, an international consulting and advisory firm. Michelle has worked with over thousands of startups and entrepreneurs on their business models, marketing strategy, operations, and growth, as has also done government policy and strategy work with organizations worldwide.
When in Silicon Valley, the delegation received a full-day of pitch training and did two tech company visits to DocuSign and LinkedIn. However, the truly unique portion of this program was the board meeting simulation that acted as a capstone project for the EMBA students. The simulation provided participants with the opportunity to get feedback on their strategic proposals from experienced judges before presenting a finalized proposal back to the board members of their employers back in Japan. See below for more info about the Hitotsubashi Pitch Training Program.
Agenda of Pitch Training Program in Silicon Valley
Day 1 – Sunday, April 8th, 2018
- Pitch Training Workshop with Michael Korver, Michelle Messina and David Charron
- The Secret Sauce of Silicon Valley
- The Entrepreneurial Mindset – Silicon Valley Culture
- Walk the Plank – Pitches
- How to Pitch the Silicon Valley Way
- Business Model Innovation – How to Build a Compelling Value Proposition
- Individual Coaching and Work Session
- Feedback and Q&A
Day 2 – Thursday, April 12th, 2018
- DocuSign – How Innovation Travels to Other Markets
- LinkedIn – Future-Proofing Your Workforce: Equipping Employees with New Skillsets
Day 3 – Friday, April 13th, 2018
- Special Session – Board Meeting Simulation – 5 min pitch + 15 min Q&A with:
- Aaron McDaniel, Lecturer, Berkeley Haas
- Michelle Messina, CEO, Explora International
- Eric Louttit, CMO, Ivy Mobility
- Michael Torosian, Partner, Pillsbury Law
- Brian Goncher, Managing Director, Deloitte
- Praveen Gupta, VP Corporate Investments & Development, HTC
- Rick Altinger, EVP, Glooko
- Joel Barbier, Director, Cisco Systems
In Partnership With:
About Silicon Valley Forum’s Immersion Programs
Silicon Valley Forum creates unique, high-quality Silicon Valley immersion programs, startup workshops, business luncheons, pitch nights, demo days, and more for corporates, accelerators, government and universities worldwide. Each program can be tailored to your delegation’s specific needs. Find past Silicon Valley immersion programs here and download our program brochures to learn more about what we can do for you!