In partnership with MOST (Ministry of Science and Technology), TIEC (Taiwan Innovation and Entrepreneurship Center) and TITAN (Taiwan Innovation & Technology Arena) of Taiwan, Silicon Valley Forum brought three mentors from Silicon Valley to Taiwan for a 3-day intensive workshop with over 60 startups, as well as organized an immersion program and pitch night in Silicon Valley where 11 selected startups got the opportunity to pitch on stage at Hanahaus in Palo Alto.
It was the first time that the Taiwanese Government has ever sponsored a group of Taiwanese startups to showcase at CES 2018. As it was the startups’ first time participation in CES they had to get pitch-ready. Therefore, in November 2017, we brought four experienced startup mentors and advisors from Silicon Valley to Taiwan to coach the startups in an intensive 3-day boot camp. The topics covered included: Navigating the Silicon Valley Ecosystem, Raising capital in Silicon Valley, Pitching the Silicon Valley Way, Business Model Innovation, Go-To-Market Strategy and Value Proposition and Messaging. Our expert mentors included:
- Klaus Wehage, Head of International Relations, Silicon Valley Forum
- Michelle Messina, CEO & Founder of Explora International LLC
- Eliott Adams, Author of Startup Mixtape
- Pedro Sorrentino, General Partner, ONEVC
Even though CES 2018 is an excellent opportunity for founders to showcase their technology and innovation, nothing beats pitching on stage for Silicon Valley investors and the Silicon Valley startup community. A well anticipated Taiwan Pitch Night was held at Hanahaus in Palo Alto on January 16th where 11 startups pitched in front of a full house; We had 200 people in the room! Earlier in the day, we also organized the delegation to visit two VC firms as well as an investor speed dating event. See the agenda details below, but first, watch this highlight video from the bootcamp in Taiwan!
Watch highlights from the Tech Star Bootcamp in Taiwan:
TAIWAN TECH STAR BOOTCAMP AND PITCH NIGHT
Bootcamp – November 8th-10th, 2017
Hosted by TITAN (Taiwan Innovation & Technology Arena) in Taipei
Bootcamp Day 1
- Welcome remarks and workshop overview
- The Secret Sauce of Silicon Valley
- The Entrepreneurial Mindset — Silicon Valley Culture
- Navigating the Silicon Valley Ecosystem from the perspective of a foreigner
- How to Raise Capital in Silicon Valley
- How to Pitch the Silicon Valley Way
- Business Model Innovation
Bootcamp Day 2
- Customer Discovery and Development
- How to Develop a Compelling Value Proposition and Story
- Market Size and Go-To-Market Strategy
- MOCK-UP PITCH NIGHT
Bootcamp Day 3
- Work on Business Model & Go-To-Market Strategy
- Work on Value Proposition and Message Articulation
- Investment Readiness
- Pitch Deck Clarity and Revision
- MOCK-UP PITCH NIGHT
Immersion Program – January 16th, 2018
- Visit to Sierra Ventures
- Visit to Translink Capital
- Investor and Mentor Speed Dating at Plug and Play Tech Center
- Pitch Rehersal at HanaHaus
Pitch Night – January 16th, 2018
Hosted at Hanahaus, Palo Alto
5:30-6:30pm Registration & Networking
6:30-6:45pm Opening Remarks by Denyse Cardozo, CEO & President, Silicon Valley Forum & Yu-Chin Hsu, Deputy Minister, The Deputy Minister of MOST.
6:45-7:00pm Judge Introductions
- Wendy Lung, Partner, IBM Ventures
- Robert Neivert, Venture Partner, 500 Startups
- Jayni Shah, Associate, Menlo Ventures
7:00-8:15pm Startup Pitches (11 teams, 3 min pitch + 3 min Q&A)
- Deep Force
- Ganzin Technology
- Genius Holding Co.
- Rehabotics Medical Technology Corporation
- Sinopulsar Tech
- LBL Biotech
In Partnership With
About Silicon Valley Forum’s Immersion Programs
Silicon Valley Forum creates unique, high-quality Silicon Valley immersion programs, startup workshops, business luncheons, pitching nights, demo days, and more for corporates, accelerators, government and universities worldwide. Each program can be tailored to your delegation’s specific needs. Learn more about our services here.
About The Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), Taiwan
The Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), as Taiwan government’s dedicated scientific and technological development agency, is responsible for promoting the nation’s overall S&T development, supporting academic research, developing the science parks and bringing academic research another step closer to industrial needs. The MOST’s goal is to boost Taiwan’s academic and industrial competitiveness at the international level. Learn more.
About Taiwan Innovation & Technology Arena (TITAN)
Taiwan Innovation & Technology Arena (“TITAN”) is the flagship program sponsored by Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan with objective to provide deep technology startups with a comprehensive resource platform to soft-land and grow with the high technology ecosystem in Taiwan. Learn more.